Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Andaman Islands, Havelock

I had a wonderful time scuba diving and swimming on the most beautiful beach I've ever seen, on Havelock Island! I have no pictures of me with scuba gear, but did take some of the turquoise water and white sand! I did 4 day dives, and 2 night dives, all fun and chock full of fish: several kinds of shrimps, travelli, yellow snapper, fusillier, tuna, barracuda, moray eels, a blue spotted ray, octopus, rock fish, box fish, banner fish, parrot fish, sea urchins, lion fish, nemos, phosphorescent algae, worms, etc!!
I also met several fun divers including a French family from Rennes, a British couple who transplanted to Australia, two Indian pilots, and a rockin couple from Oregon who now call Germany home!
I spent a less fun but nice and quiet 2 nights on Niel Island, then a night in transit in Port Blair. Back in Chennai for a day, waiting for the night train to Bangalore! I'm throwing out plans for Mamallaparam, Pondicherry and Sri Lanka. Maybe next year and, I hope, with friends. It's hot and time to head north!
If I had to do it over again, I would have flown from Kolkatta to Port Blair, and then from Port Blair to Chennai. Chennai and Puri can be skipped completely, continuing on by plane or train to elsewhere. Oh well, it's been cheap and even with the Lonely Planet, I didn't know.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are heading north to greener pastures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great

    stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via email?





    Havelock Island

    ReplyDelete