Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Too much hotel time

Being stuck in Jaipur with the nose stalactite, I got ample time to consider gender roles in the hotel business, which gives insight into the whole gender issue, the staring and groping of white female tourists, and the crappy treatment of women in India. I observed:

The owner of the hotel is a woman. I think her name was Reva. Reva's dad opened the hotel in 1980 with 5 rooms, and has built it up to 35 rooms, with a huge and lovely rooftop terrace with 300 some potted plants all around it, twinkly lights, a canopy and bench swing. The zoning of her street limits jer to 35 rooms. I suspect she does not have a brother since she is now running the hotel, together with her husband. At age 20 (1992) she had her wedding at the hotel, which had 1000 guests, lasted 4 days, and which she quickly admitted was a huge waste of money. 2 years later, she had her first kid. Reva is 40 and her parents are younger than mine. Her 18 year old daughter will start law school in the fall, and her son, 16, came home after private tennis lessons, and gave me a map of Jaipur, pointing out the major sites to visit and how much a tuktuk should cost (450 rupees all day, $9). The tuktuk driver who is permanently camped out in front of the hotel was a very good Nepalese guy whose only fault was spitting minty chewing tobacco.

I asked Reva why all the employees at her hotel, and every other hotel in India are men. She said that women stay home, or they work as domestics in a rich person's home. They don't work outside of actual homes, which is odd to me because even hotel housekeeping is done by men here and I see no difference by type of work, changing sheets in a house vs. in a hotel.
I made some simple but pivotal connections: Lower class women are the ones who would work in a hotel in India, assuming they could get hired in the first place. Reva is all for her daughter's law career, but lower class women may be considered by even Reva as sluts or undesireables. It would be aweful to hire the kind of woman who would sell herself to male coworkers or guests. Or, she assumes that her lower class male employees wouldn't be able to control their lust, and their workplace has bedrooms everywhere. Reva might assume that no woman would apply for a job outside of a house (I bet she would get a line of applicants down the block). If Reva did want to hire a woman, she would have to wait for a male employee to quit or get fired, providing one lone slot for a woman. Taking on a hotel full of all male coworkers is a daunting task.
Men here don't learn to respect women in a coworker setting, which is where we spend so much of our lives. There is very little platonic, professional interaction between the sexes in India. What our mothers in the US had to put up with in the 60s and 70s, gee wiz!

Speaking with Reva and her son on a second occasion, two British women were at the next table, and we got to talking about Dehli. Both women complained that they had been groped by men in a store, on the boobs and butt. I asked Reva why she thinks Indian men do that, and if it's just white women or does her daughter have to be careful, too? She didn't know why, said something about lower class men, and yes her daughter has to be careful, never going on a date, only going to the movies in a group of girls. The son said maybe those men watch sexy movies and have the wrong attitude. When his mother stepped out, I told the son that all the men in every hotel stare at me and every white woman. He asked if his hotel was like that too. I said yes. He asked which one employee had stared at me, and I said they all do, all the time. He was surprised, and said he would tell them not to do that amymore. I suggested to him that they hire some women employees, another surprising idea.

Reva's main concern was that everything was OK with my stay in her hotel. She must have asked me 30 times if everything was fine. She also insisted that I leave nice reviews for her hotel and restaurant on Trip Advisor while staring at my smart phone, reminding me that they have free and strong wifi everywhere and repeating the wifi password several times. I took her picture on the terrace and promised to post good comments, which I did, and she thanked me for it on our second interaction. She also said that every summer, all the plants on the terrace die with the heat and subsequent monsoon. She has to buy them all new each year. I told her how many locally-owned businesses in the US give money to local sports teams so poor children can afford the uniform, or as scholarships to students for college. She thought that was nice, and said they don't typically do that in India, making no connection to herself, but added that I'm a good-natured person. If anything, I'm a big hypocrit for blowing my savings on a trip to Asia instead of donating it to little league or a scholarship fund. Reva was a very nice lady, but the situation makes me very uncomfortable.
I am reminded that lower and middle income people in the US donate a larger portion of their income to charity than rich people do, and we really rely on taxes to recirculate money. When rich people hord money, it's not good for society. India, I hear, has lots of corruption and I suspect taxes on rich people are too low, or the money gets skimmed away or something.

1 comment:

  1. great post. I'll be wanting to hear more about your experiences in India ... my friends here moved back to Delhi, I just cannot get past the personal space issue. groping is not okay.

    ReplyDelete