Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A doctor did a housecall! Abscess in the nose

That painful bump in my nose got bigger and throbbing, waking me up at 11pm. WebMD said it's an abscess caused by dirty environments, irritation in the nasal lining, etc. The hotel called doctor Panicker (excellent name for an emergency on-call doc!), who came in under 30 minutes. 3 medications, some ice, and 4000 rupees later ($75), I'm back to bed in under an hour. No waiting in line at a confusing, germ-filled clinic where not everyone speaks English. Very civilized, and the doctor said that part of the system is for foreigners and is left over from the British model. Also, very ironic... This is the same country/city with sewage problems, rats, stray cow and stray dog problems, homeless children, etc. Dynamic India.
Dr. Panicker's daughter works for Google in Mountain View, CA and he'll go there in June to visit her.

The hotel employee (they're always all men) with a bad toupee carried a dust-covered ice bucket back to my room for me. He came all the way inside my tiny room, and looked all around. He noticed my clothes bag, which I had just packed with clean clothes I washed myself in the sink, and dried on my own clothes line I hang up make-shift like in hotel rooms. He offered the hotel laundry service, and akwardly would not leave my room. After breakfast the next morning, the waiter (who charged me 30 rupees to wash and half-fill the bucket with ice), also wanted to carry it back to my room, open the lock for me, come all inside, look around, offer laundry service and stare at me in the tiny entryway. No privacy, and they always want to sell something, even when you're ill and it's midnight. They need to hire some women employees!

1 comment:

  1. Nice stalactite you got there :) And, snot rag! Nasty.

    ReplyDelete