Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Jaipur, the pink city

I took the only train that runs from Jaisalmer to Jaipur, at night, arriving in Jaipur at 5am. I had a nice chat with a single mom from Ireland and her two teenagers in the train. The 16 year old daughter was stared at by men every minute of their 6 week trip. The mom had visited India for the first time in 1985 and had interesting stories.
Once in Jaipur, I was hounded and stalked by moto rickshaw drivers, one followed me from the platform and down several blocks in the street. I ended up having to yell at him "leave me alone" and embarass him in front of other, more polite tuk tuk drivers. Nothing would shake this bastard. I walked away, and was able to walk no problem to a decent hotel within 5 or 10 minutes. Stray dogs are out in the morning and the dog to people ratio is much higher. I picked up a rock to carry the whole way and had no problems.
I woke up the front desk staff at the first hotel, and decided to come back at 8. I left my bag, and walked around the city. Although I was dirty and tired, the city was peaceful, no one tried to sell me anything, old people were walking for exercise in the park, and I saw the sun come up in India's pink city.
I checked in at a different hotel across the street from the first, for they were not smug and let me in a room right away. Shower and sleep until 2pm.
I've have a painful blister type thing on the inside of my nose. I may have gotten bit in the nostrel by a bug, or just gotten overzealous with picking dusty boogers every day (Booger update just for you, Amanda! I know it's your favorite!) It shoots pain on my face and teeth, so I took it easy yesterday. Lots of ibuprophen. I took an auto rickshaw around to Amber fort, where I had a nice chat with a Sihk family,and the dad unfolded his long beard to show me how he clips and tucks it in. I also got a henna tatoo on my foot! I've got a 6am train to Delhi tomorrow. Mega city here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment