Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Last day in Chiang Mai

I really like this funky, hodge-podge, temple-filled city. Will take the night train back to Bangkok tonight. I only did 2 things in Chiang Mai, which was the perfect amount: walk around, and took a cooking class. Chiang Mai has endless, interesting alley ways, called "soi", inside and out of the square configuration of the old walled city. Typical, old houses are 2 story, made of wood, with gently pitched roofs, and a courtyard surrounded by a wall or gate. Many of them have been converted to restaurants with outdoor seating, charming guesthouses, often both. The night market is touristy but colorful amd fun. I see monks of all ages and sizes walking around in their orange togas. I even happened upon what looked like a high school parade with its pink feathered marching band. The cooking class was fun, and easy, and I will be delighted to cook Pad Thai, Tom Yan soupe with shrimp, and mango with sticky rice when I get home!

Also, holy shit, I fly to India in 2 days!! A note on malaria medicine:
A fellow diver on one of the boats in Koh Tao was an old doctor from France, and we got to talking about travel and malaria. I told him I'm taking Mefloquine/Lariam, because I'm allergic to doxycyclin, the cheap common antibiotic people take for malaria prevention. I was warned when I got Lariam that it causes nightmares, and it does mess with my sleep and give me weird, overly vivid dreams every night. There was one with my mom in it a while back with her teeth falling out that made me ask Alan (stepdad) if she was OK. Supposedly, the dream interpreters call it the death dream. The other night, I startled myself awake, thinking there was a street dog next to me. The scuba doctor said right away that Lariam makes people crazy and I should stop taking it at 3 months. I started it on Dec 16th, so I have about a month to find an alternative drug, even though I have 9 weeks of the pills remaining. Mosquitos bite me everyday. I'll have to learn more soon, have the adventure of meeting a pharmacist or doctor in India. I hear about another antimalarial, called Malarone...

On a more upbeat note, I found Ellen MacArthur's book here in the used book shop, and I'm really enjoying it! I'm not sailing an awesome sailboat, but I'm on a long, solo adventure like she was. I saved up for it, my parents helped me, my friends miss me and give encouragement, I'm a tomboy, I broke things off with boys along the way, I'm alone a lot and get sick, it's thrilling, exciting and makes me feel proud, confident and capable. I find a lot of likemindedness and inspiration in her story. Yay!  :)

It's more and more rare that I meet a fellow traveler who has been to more places than I have, lived away from home for as long (10+ years). I am finding myself wishing with increased frequency that someone soulmate-like were here with me, to share all the places, sights and smells with. Maybe he'll come on the scene next year, and we'll save up for South America together. One thing at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment