Sunday, November 25, 2012

Guangzhou

Went around town today, and found some neat stuff: The Opera house, children's center, library and Asian Games (small time olympics) park, all in a new area with wild modern architecture and the nicest linear city park I've ever seen, koy, water lilies, children rollerblading, etc. I walked through some awesome upscale neighborhoods, and then saw a really run down neighborhood near a huge Catholic cathedral.

I also found a big seafood market/wharf by accident. Really cool. The air was a bit dirty and cloudy mixed. No trouble breathing. Construction cranes everywhere. I think Guangzhou is the cutting edge, building skyscrapers fast, modern city, more than Shanghai.

Guidebook notes that Guangzhou sees the largest human migration in the world for Chinese new year. I could tell at the train station, they're set up for big crowds. Had some BBQ skewers in the night market, dinner for 6¥ (less than $1). Making up for 2 pints of Guinness and the fish and chip plate last night in Shanghai for 250¥ ($35), the most expensive meal by far. Dinner is usually under 30¥. Hostels are usually 60¥ per night. Prices are wacky and inconsistent.

Going to bed exhausted at 9pm. 9am train to Shenzhen tomorrow.

Super jazzed about the Philippines!! Glad I went for it. I borrowed a Chinese guy's computer at the hostel lobby to get the ticket, couldn't fill in all the stuff on my phone. He and his friend saw what I was buying and both said "wow, that is very cheap, good job, exciting trip!"

1 comment:

  1. that be where my man is from! I had to send him a link to the blog to be like, look, not all foreigners hate GZ!

    ReplyDelete