Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sozopol and Sofia, Bulgaristan

All of my photos are on the Kodak, and I was not able to upload them in Grenoble, but here's a short update in words:
I took a night bus from Ankara to Istanbul, then a day bus to Burgas, and a local bus to Sozopol, Bulgaria. I arrived at 5pm, and wandered around town with a fellow backpacker from Argentina, Frederico who I met on the bus. We never found the listed youth hostel, but an old lady on her portch waved us in and let us stay in her house, filled with rooms containing twin beds, and extra bathrooms in the hallway, as if in this pretty seaside town, she does this kind of thing all the time. She spoke zero English, but we got on like a house a fire, and and she even did my laundry for a small fee.
I met up with my old friends Sonja and Joerg, German pals I met at TAMU, who now have a 20 month-old todler Jonas. It was so good to see Sonja and talk about life and urban planning stuff, and to see Joerg and her with a baby! I thought they were skillful, ready parents and managed the kid very well! So impressed! Solid rules for behavior and safety, but also lots of time at the playground, in the sand, reading and fun.
This part of the trip is going very fast, and is chock full. I was in Sozopol only 3 nights, then zipped off to Sofia for 24 hours to walk around, see gorgeous buildings, quickly replace my broken sneakers, and take a bus to the next place...

No comments:

Post a Comment